divendres, 20 de març del 2015

PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS



1. PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS

  • I was sleeping when you arrived.

1st. I was sleeping (long action)
2nd. You arrived (short action)
---------------------------------------> One action interrupts the other.


  • You arrived while I was sleeping. = While I was sleeping, you arrived.


WHILE + past continuous
WHEN + past simple or past continuous

  • She phoned while we were having lunch.
  • When he got home, they weren't watching TV.
  • What was she doing when she fell off the ladder?




2. PAST SIMPLE AND PAST SIMPLE

  • When he arrived, he had dinner and he went to bed.
  • I didn't watch TV when I finished my homework.

–--------------------------------------> One action happens after the other




3. PAST CONTINUOUS AND PAST CONTINUOUS

  • She was studying while I was reading.
  • When the teacher was speaking, you weren't listening.

–---------------------------------------> Both actions happen at the same time. No interruption.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada